Monday, March 3, 2014

Guest Post- Whitney

Ya'll meet my friend Whitney!  She is very brave...and very wise beyond her years! I hope her story inspires you, as it does me!


~Kellie







Part 1- The Search

At 22 years old there wasn't much about pregnancy and childbirth that I claimed to know. In fact, I knew nothing. The first OB was chosen out of convenience, he was the closest of the 2 we were looking at. My husband of 3 years and I walked into his office and when he came in I immediately got “the creeps”. After speaking with him for all of 5 minutes, He took me into an exam room without my Husband- This was our first mistake. Knowing what I know now, after that first impression, we should have gone home and discussed our feelings and moved on to another OB. But now we were locked in their system and it was that much more work to switch.


Fast forward to the next Doctor. This man came highly recommended by many of our friends.  They loved his morals and mannerisms, (not to mention he was a looker, which is what a laboring woman needs, right? A handsome man up in your business, lol).  Everything I was told about him was true, so he was our pick.  Now that the quest for finding a suitable OB was over I was ready to learn, so I asked about reading material. He recommended reading “Natural Childbirth: The Bradley Way”, but quickly added that I shouldn't listen to everything it says, as it would be “a little far from your roots.” Whatever that meant?


So I ordered my Bradley Book, and when it came in the mail I was so excited that I read it in one day! My husband then read it, and he completely supported the idea! I couldn't wait for my next appointment to tell my OB thank you for leading me to this wonderful method, and go over all the wonderful things I wanted to do for my baby and myself.  At 7 months along, my Husband and I sat in the exam room giddy with excitement. The first thing I said when he came was " I absolutely loved the book!  I want a labor and delivery described in all the stories I read!  I don’t want an IV so I can move around, I want to be able to wait until I go into labor, and I don’t want an epidural".  I noticed he turned very serious at this point, and his whole attitude changed. He told me "First, you must have an IV no questions asked. Next, you will not be allowed to go past your due date, there is too much risk involved." (I was considered low risk / completely healthy). The last thing he told me, with a chuckle: “oh you are going to want that epidural!” At that point I was furious. I sat in defeated silence as we listened for my baby boy's heartbeat.  I wanted to ask him WHY? But he was in such a hurry he told me he would explain it all at the next appointment. As soon as we walked out, my Husband and I looked at each other and said, "there wont be a next appointment".


At 7 months we were back to the drawing board, but this time I KNEW exactly what I wanted. I googled natural birth OB’s in the Austin area and contacted my friend Kellie to see whom she was using. I told her what happened with my current OB and she was appalled. She helped to calm my nerves and get down to business. The name I pulled on google was Christina Sebestyen, MD FACOG at OBGYN North. I read review after review and I thought this place is definitely worth a shot. I was worried that being so far along in  my pregnancy would make it difficult to switch practices, but the ladies at OBGYN North were terrific.  We walked into the office and I had my questions ready. There was a very homey quality to the place with hand-made quilts hung on the walls and smiling faces everywhere!  We waited all of 5 minutes to be seen, nice! I like quick! One of the midwives saw me that day. At that time there were 3 Doctors and 3 midwives working together, but they have since upped their staff. I asked my questions like I did with my previous OB and she smiled and said the magical words "you can do whatever you want, this is your body and no one knows it better".  Angels sang in my head at that moment. Someone understands! She went over how labor and delivery typically go for their natural Momma’s in the hospital. Other than needing to check baby's vitals every 30 minutes I would be left alone to do my thing. She requested for me to type up a birth plan to post for the nurses to see so they would be on board too. I was so happy. I was home


Whitney Part 2- 
Labor & Delivery of baby Max will be posted tomorrow!


2 comments:

  1. I love love reading all these inspirational blogs on natural birth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ever settle on anything as important as your baby's birth. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete